05 August 2008

Arab fathers

I’ve been postponing this post day after day being under illusion that “inspiration” would strike and I’ll produce a long and riveting text. Unfortunately, since I got pregnant my attention span became that of a goldfish so no chance of a long and deep account of anything is going to happen here and short posts will have to suffice.
I had my prenatal visit in the overcrowded and overloaded Al Wasl hospital today and I came to the conclusion that I love Arab fathers. After years of observation how they deal with their kids, how they care about them, how they take care of them, play with them, are proud to be fathers, my admiration reached its peak when I saw one such a father of a baby carrying a huge, flowery pink diaper bag. He wasn’t hiding it or being sheepish about it, no. It was flung casually over his shoulder while he was ordering something at the Starbucks. This image was the highlight of my day (yep, my life is that uneventful).

10 comments:

L_Oman said...

Well, I think that it's sweet he was carrying a pink diaper bag!

I've never witnessed something like that here, except for lately I'm seeing very young couples and the new husband is carrying around the new wife's handbag.

How much longer until your little baby boo-boo makes her appearance? :)

L_Oman said...

I tried to comment on this yesterday but blogger was acting goofy.

I think it's sweet that you got to see a dad carrying a big pink flowery diaper bag. I've not seen anything like that here - except for the newly married couple where the hub is carrying the wife's handbag. My hub would never be caught dead doing that. HA!

Wait - I love it when I see the dads here carrying the newborn babies in those fluffly mattress looking things they lay the babies on. It looks painful to have to carry the baby on that, but I still think it's cute (but man - just go get a stroller!).

Solace said...

I don't know any arab fathers, but I have heard they just love children and take their fatherly responsibilities very seriously.

L_Oman said...

Do I get a prize for double posting, Saboodle?

Thio said...

arab fathers like to hit their kids as they dont think is worth to talk to them

Saboodle said...

Blogger sometimes acts funny, so you get a prize for insisting and reposting a comment. I've got less than 6 weeks to go. Now I need help. I've got indeas for posts, unfortunately they usually come in the middle of the night and the brilliant post constructed in my head are gone the next morning. I'm not going to get up and write at night - too sleepy for that. What do i do, my dear agony aunt?

Saboodle said...

Maria, hahahahaha! Yes, they hit their kids right after they chained their wife to the radiator.

L_Oman said...

How about a post on what you see in the malls there...I'm always blown away by the interesting people when we visit and sort of whimper to the hub that I can't wait to get back to Oman. Then I want to go to UAE. It's so confusing! :)

Thio said...

"Yes, they hit their kids right after they chained their wife to the radiator." :P they really beat kids (not small of course) bt never in the public the other option is they are simply not bothered as they never at home ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL, my dh forgets he's carrying my handbag sometimes and I deliberately don't remind him! LOL... looks rather sweet walking along with a lady's handbag in his hand.