11 August 2008

Taxi talk

L_Oman inspired this post (well, it “inspired” sounds better than “I stole the idea from”) with her story on dealing with shop assistants.
The rule of minimum words, maximum content doesn’t apply only to aforementioned shop assistants but also, or even more so, to taxis, so here it is, a short guide to communicating with a taxi driver.
If you live in Sharjah or any other of the Northern Emirates, it’s easier to learn a couple of words in broken Arabic (don’t overstrain yourself with correct pronunciation, it will be confusing), if you’re in Dubai, it’s the same but in English. The words you’ll need are:
-straight
-left
-right
-here
-exit
-yes
-no
-after (instead of “the next one”).
-you know? (and this is the only verb you should use).
Example:
“Sh. Zayed, straight, straight, you know?”
(when arriving at the destination)
“After (here) exit”
and two seconds later
“Exit here, yes, yes”
And here for the “Arabic” version:
“Sh. Zayed, sida, sida, ma’loum?”
“B’ad hini, mouhridj”
“hini, eeh (na’am, aywa), hini”
And this is how you guide your taxi from Sharjah to the Mall of the Emirates, known to the non-anglophone population as “Emirates’ Mall”.
One more rule. Never ever give more than one information at the time. Space them and only ever give the specifications if really necessary. The mistake most anglophones (or wannabe anglophones) make is using extra-polite forms. Sometimes, so it seems, to show how egalitarian and non-racist they are, since they speak to the poor guy in the same exact manner they would to their boss. It sounds something like this “Do you, by any chance, happen to know the shortest and most efficient way to this small, quirky boutique, the name is “xyz”, I believe, that is situated in one of the backstreets on the left coming from Abu Dhabi, after the 3rd Interchange”. Of course, I’m exaggerating, of course, but only slightly. The poor guy would only understand “Abu Dhabi” and “Interchange”. Being polite is not about using flowery and complicated grammatical structures, it is about making it easy for the other person to understand you. It doesn’t mean barking orders, either. Just simplest, plainest words in a polite tone. Usually works.

10 comments:

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

very informative! I would be the "anglophone" who is overly polite without this warning.

Saboodle said...

I know it is difficult for someone who doesn't have much experiance with foreigners or/and foreign languages to judge what is easy to understand and what isn't. But if you ever tried to learn a different language, think of how much you understood in the very beginning ;)

L_Oman said...

Once my hub hired out a driver for me that happened to be Indian. It was when I had just started working and our new car would be available in a month. No problemo,eh?

Yes. Problem. Huge problem.

The guy smelled like motor oil. Now, motor oil doesn't smell bad, per se however. And I do mean however. When you are confined in a Toyota Echo it is a major problem. I was so nauseous by the time I got to work everyday, I was in tears. Lets just say we got our car waaaay sooner than that month. I swear I still smell that funk.

Great tips, saboodle-boodle! :)

Saboodle said...

Haha, l_oman, I hear you! I've got a very keen sense of smell to the point that when i get a nice smelling (as in can't-smell-him) taxi, I tip well. And if they happen to drive corrctly (funnily, it often goes hand in hand) I tip reaaally well (just don't tell hubs, he would get a fit).

L_Oman said...

Saboodle - what's up with our hubs and freaking out about tips? I mean, if they do the job right why not?

Saboodle said...

Well, the reasoning apparently is :They get salaries, I work hard as well and don't get tips. My husband doesn't mind tips but symbolic ones.

L_Oman said...

Saboodle - ahem - waiting for another post! You sucked out all my blood, remember?

Anonymous said...

Uff... I am the overly polite Anglophone and it's taken me over four years to finally 'get it' and cut sentence length down to bare minimum.

Trouble is though, I have met people who have been here years and after a while they lose the ability to speak proper English to anyone! They start speaking slowly and in a strange accent to everyone. :/

Saboodle said...

Stranger, haha, it is soo true about losing your ability to speak proper English. My English got sooo much worse since I came here - and to think that I used to actually teach it! I wouldn't dare now unless I underwent an intensive training...

luckyfatima said...

Hahahha, I am worse than you...I imitate the accent of the person I am speaking to...luckily I speak Hindi, so with Indians I reduce to Dubai Hindi, which is kind of a broken simple version cuz most of the taxi drivers, clerks, etc. speak Malayalam or Pushto or Bangla but not Hindi fluently! And then with Arab shop keepers I use pidgin English I speak Arabic, but only use it if their English is very bad, since my Arabic is not only broken but very Khaleeji...which makes me sound like an idiot to Egyptians and Lebanese...usually they assume I am Iranian because apparently Iranians sound like I do...that may be some form of insult for all I know. Then with the Filipinas: One can afford to be wordy with them, but somehow I can't help but imitate their accent and I call them "seer" and "madaaam."
I learnt straight away to ditch the American accent after no one could understand me when I asked for the restroom (Toilet---said with retroflex Ts) and for water (not American waahdder---that's waaTerrr, also emphasis on retroflex Ts). I am sure I sound like a schizophrenic idiot, but hey, I get what I want and avoid communication problems.